My Nature Journal: The Beginning

Do you have a nature journal? Do your kids keep one? I can't get my boys to even blink an eye in the direction of keeping a nature journal. Why? Because they would {winey voice} "have to wriiiiteeee!!"
-or draaaaaaw
-or paaaaaaiiiiint
-or whatever other thing they would need to do with their hands to record their own account of God's Glory in a treasured notebook.

So I decided that I am going to start one. :) A big one! A family sized one! And they can help but... this is for me. Maybe they will catch the bug someday.

I am very inspired after reading this book Wild Days: Creating Discovery Journals by Karen Skidmore Rackliffe that I bought from a friend in TX for $5 last year and only just recently picked up to read. It's wonderful. I'll admit.. I envy other people's children just a little bit when they create such beautiful nature notebooks. And she shows lots of examples of her children's journals in this book.  But then I realize... my boys have nothing to go by when we bring paper and colored pencils outside to sketch. They don't like drawing. And they don't like sitting still... :) They are still young. But anyway... this book is a great resource on nature notebooking and one I know I will reference many times.


Another wonderful book that was given to me in curriculum trade off between me and another homeschooler friend was The Nature Study Idea Book by Mary E. Woodis. In here you can find all kinds of ideas for study. The cover says even a high schooler could be interested! It has readily available poems and Scripture you may be inspired to write in your journal. Tool kit instructions for different kinds of study like geology (rocks) and ornithology (birding). And the conversational way she writes is like having a really good friend sitting next to you and explaining all the exciting adventures you are about to have with your nature journal. I love it!

Check these two books out... they are fairly inexpensive for the amount of value inside.

Anyway... so this notebook of mine that I am going to start... I'm gonna do it right in front of my kids. While they play at the park. Outside in the backyard. On the porch. I am going to cary it with me and treasure it. And show them what I am doing inside. I'll let them help me if they wish and hopefully this will inspire them to create their own! :)





6 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogging world :)

    I do the same with my son (5). We always take his nature journal with us, then he can write or draw in it if he wants. If not, he can just play, no pressure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the welcome! :) I love that... No pressure journaling! :)

      Delete
  2. What a great idea! Sometimes things are more caught than taught. I might just try this too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do, be sure to share what's going on! I would love to see! :)

      Delete
  3. i think that was the key for my boys, too... they watched me as i began to love nature study. in time, it was contagious. also, over the years, me setting an example and being as consistent as possible while applying as little pressure as possible. they still don't rave about nature study, but i do think they do ultimately enjoy it, are inwardly proud of their work, and will greatly benefit in the future!!! ;)
    keep on keeping on!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have at least gotten my older boy to be more aware of his non human neighbors as we go about out days! :) It's no longer me just pointing out critters or spider webs. :) So this makes me happy! Progress! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...